Tuesday, April 28, 2009

So far So good.

Moving from vegetarian to vegan has been an easy move so far. Just cut out the cheese and butter -no problem. :) It's really not that hard. Of course I have my Earth Balance butter-like spread.


I'm going on a Woman's Retreat with my church this weekend where we'll be having 5 meals. I'm a tiny bit nervous about it (food-wise... I'm TOTALLY pumped about it otherwise. We're talking about prayer and I'm really excited about it.). It's just that I'm used to getting questions about vegetarianism and being gluten-free. I've never been asked about being vegan and I know I'll be sitting at a table of 6 women, 5 times... there's bound to be questions , there always is. And people always have opinions about it.

This is actually a really good thing! I really welcome questions. How else are we going to educate/be educated?

Maybe it's just the attention thing. I don't choose my diet to get attention but I'm bound to have all eyes on me at some point during the meal. And I wonder what people think about me.

I'm sure someone will think I'm crazy. Someone will think that I only do it for attention and that I really eat meat at home -when no one is looking (haha!). Someone will be super genuinely interested. Someone will think I have an eating disorder (hahaha!!!). Someone will feel bad for me. Someone will think that I am judging them as they eat. And someone will apologize for eating meat in front of me (I always get a kick out of that).

We'll see how the questions about veganism go... it'll be a new challenge for me. I wish I had Becky there with me to tag team on the questions. She's been vegan for 7 years. She's actually just taken up the gluten free diet as well.

Ha! We'll see how eating goes. That's the real challenge. I'll be bringing a lot of my own food though. I could never expect the camp cooks to be prepared for my diet. Last time I brought some of my own food and they were super accomidating and very nice. :)

1 comment:

Jenna said...

how did this go for you?? I have started eating a vegan diet recently after a health coach came and talked to one of the classes I took this summer...it freaked me out how bad a lot of foods are for you! Anyway, I am really interested in learning more about it...