Thursday, December 11, 2008

Goals

Have you ever heard that the most successful people in the world are the ones who write down their goals?  I've done this in the past but have always misplaced my lists.  :)  I think the point is to look at them, be reminded of them, and to always have them in your thoughts.  So I'm going to keep them recorded here.  I'm just going to start small and I'll probably continue to add to the list.  There's no limit, right?

Financial Goals:

Have my school loans paid off.
Have Ryan's school loans paid off. 
Own a home (and furnish it!).
Have enough money to pay for our kids' college. (Although I don't actually want to pay for it... or at least I don't want them to know it. I want them to be responsible for it.  Possibly after they've finished college we can surprise them by paying off all of their school loans.)
Have enough money to vacation once a year.
To be able to buy a Caribou Coffee (for myself and a friend!) without worrying about our budget!

Ryan and I have not made a habit of using a credit card.  The only purchases we've made on our one card have been for business  -photography equipment (computer, cam gear, etc).  My goal is to keep it this way.  I think living within our means is a huge step in attaining these goals.

Numbers...  I didn't put any amounts anywhere.  I just don't know what it would take to fulfill all of these goals. But!  I would LOVE for them to be fulfilled in 5 years.  I'm sure the house obviously wouldn't be fully paid for though.  (And the kids' college goal isn't about to happen in 5 years either.)

Like I said, I'll come back with more.





1 comment:

Barbara said...

I love your idea to let your kids learn responsibility regarding college.