Monday, November 24, 2008

Living Gluten Free

I became gluten-free (GF) on January 1st, 2007 (a new years resolution I've actually kept). I was diagnosed with an allergy to wheat/gluten when I was 15 but just ignored it. I felt fine (I thought).

Then I met Mary, a new coworker of mine (and the sweetest woman!), she told me about the complications she had had after ignoring her allergy for many years. Complications (including surgery to remove part of her colon) that I would rather avoid! So I began researching and learning about what It meant to take gluten out of my diet.

"Living Gluten Free for Dummies" is an awesome book that I would recommend to anyone making similar decisions about their diet. I spent about 2-3 months reading the labels of everything that I ate... "Okay, Kim, this could very well be your very last bowl of tomato soup (yes, there is wheat in tomato soup) you better enjoy it!" I had many "last" bowls of macaroni and cheese!!! So when the new year came around, I was totally prepared. I had gone to the Wedge and purchased a ton of GF food and claimed two shelves in the kitchen cupboard as Kim's GF edible food. That way I would be less likely to get discouraged. No "theres nothing for me to eat!" and give up. No excuses!

The first changes that I noticed had to do with my digestive system (we'll pass on the details). And I felt awesome every morning. I hadn't realized how gross I had felt when I woke up. Now I felt super light and energized. Aside from that, I didn't notice much bet kept at it.

8 months later I decided to have a wheat week! I was so pumped! State fair food, Valleyfair food, pizza, macaroni and cheese, subway... it was awesome. And totally GROSS. I felt HORRIBLE. Super tired (like laying on the floor because there was no energy left tired), I was often confused and jumbled up my words, tons of bloating, nausea, weight gain, headaches, dizziness, I couldn't even focus my vision at times. And it wasn't even that satisfying. I can live without pizza if it means that I don't have to feel like that again.

And now that I can recognize the symptoms... I can decide if it's really worth it to have some pizza or go to Buca. Do I really want to gain 4+ pounds at one meal? Feel nasty for a week? It's filling my healthy body with toxins and it's notnotnot worth it.

So anyway, the whole reason for this post is that I've been asked for advise on living gluten free and I thought I'd share what I've learned. GF can be expensive and there's a lot of trial and error in finding good stuff. (A lot of GF food tastes like dirt-literally) If you have anything to add let me know!

The best and cheapest pasta is at Trader Joes.

The best and cheapest waffles (regular and banana) are at Trader Joes. *I love Trader Joe's!

Trader Joe's also has weird frozen GF pancakes that are pretty great.

Trader Joe's has a good brownie mix. I haven't tried their pancake mix yet....

Rice Chex is GF! (Rice Krispies are not -they have malt.)

Bittersweet is an awesome bakery located in Eagan. Their bread is awesome and it's also sold and Fresh and Natural Foods stores.

Sunshine Burgers, Smart Dogs, and Soyrizo are awesome if you're a vegetarian as well!

Target has an awesome mix for GF Sugar Cookies. I can't remember the brand name -there's also cake and other goodies.

Pamela's GF Cookies are pretty great. Especially Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip

Crumb -Gourmet Deli- in Eden Prairie has GF bread for sandwhiches (it's Bittersweet's).

Noodles & Company has awesome GF pad thai!

Biaggi's and PG Changs both have Gluten Free Menus

Click here for more dining in the Twin Cities.

For baking there are pre-mixed flours or you can mix your own (tough!). You should go to your nearest co-op and ask. They sometimes have it in bulk so you can try just a little to see what you like.

Most chips are made of corn or potatoes. Mission makes good corn tortillas.

Mary's Gone Crackers GF crackers are good!


Not Gluten Free:
Beer -there are very few GF brands. Hard Cider is a good substitute.
Soy Sauce -try Bragg's Liquid Aminos. Better and healthier!
Most vegetarian fake meat - Boca, Morningstar, etc
Mock Duck
McDonald's French Fries (BK fries are ok)

Read the Label!:
Microwave dinners
Rice dishes
Sauces (particularly asian food) and dressings
Soup


Whenever we go out to eat I go online ahead of time to look up their allergy notifications. They often tell you what's gluten-free. Waiting 'till you get there to ask your server can cause a lot of confusion.

Let me know if you have any questions!!! Or if you have any advice for me!

3 comments:

Mike and Katie said...

Oh I just had to laugh about the "Kage" and "Cage" thing on Mckmama's blog. That's hilarious!

katie

Anonymous said...

no email attached to your comment, but i came over here (and now i see katie came over from my blog too!!!) just to tell you i laughed so hard i cried at your mage cage comment. still laughing. and, did you know we're in the same state?

take care!

mckmama

Anonymous said...

Hi Kim, I read your blog and thanks it is helpful to me.. I am new at the gluten free stuff and really not a picky eater.. especially if this will make me feel better.. I just want to get back to my old self again.. and I didn't know headaches are also caused by gluten until your mom told me.. thanks I will keep you posted..